The Strategic Plan of the Turku University of Applied Sciences 2010-2013
The purpose of Turku University of Applied Sciences (TUAS) is to offer multidisciplinary higher education and conduct applied research and development to meet the needs of working life and businesses in Southwest Finland.
Turku University of Applied Sciences is a higher education institution that supports innovation, has an international recognition of high quality, and increases the competitiveness and well being of Southwest Finland.
Customer-orientation, professionalism, result-orientation, community-orientation, and impact.
Strategic plan of TUAS:
Innovative pedagogy and life-long learningRead more
The quality of working-life based youth education in maintained
- The core task of TUAS is to ensure high quality of working-life-based youth education. Based on the division of labour between universities and universities of applied sciences, TUAS is responsible for professional higher education that provides experts for labour and business needs in Southwest Finland.
- The local areas of educational emphasis are determined based on regional estimates; the emphasis ought to support the focus and existing know-how of the following activities and institutions in the economic region of Turku: businesses, public sector, culture, sustainable development, secondary education, and regional university education.
- While determining the educational emphasis, the ability to react to sudden structural changes is taken into account. The profile and emphasis of TUAS are regularly negotiated between the Ministry of Education and Culture, the maintaining organisation, and TUAS.
Entrepreneurship, applied research and development, and internationality are integrated with teaching
- The multi-disciplinary and client-based innovative pedagogy of TUAS supports innovations utilized in work places in Southwest Finland. Flexible curriculum structures and alternative modes of completing studies enable the integration of entrepreneurship, research and development, and service activities in teaching.
- Cornerstones of innovative pedagogy include multidisciplinary education, research and development, curricula, entrepreneurial and service activities, and internationality.
- The offerings in alternative choice courses, JOO-studies, Open University of Applied Sciences, and international studies will be revised.
- Information systems will be developed to support high quality activities.
- Multi-disciplinary content within faculties will be increased with common studies.
Counselling and tutoring activities will be revised
- Tutoring of students will be increased.
- Competence in Bachelor's thesis compilation will be enhanced according to the needs of working life.
- A demanding higher education institution and learning at work places are two factors that produce good learning results.
- Social media and other net-based learning tools will be utilized.
Adult education will swiftly meet the needs at working life
- Teachers will improve their working-life knowledge and project management skills with continuing education. The working and business life-based continuing education will include both permanent and tailor-made educational products.
- The role of adult education in the educational offerings in the regional municipalities will increase.
Master's education will address the demanding know-how needs of working life.
- Master's education is broad and deep.
- In Master's studies, all graduates with a basic degree will be offered opportunities to enhance their expert and leadership skills.
- Master's education is planned to avoid overlap and guarantee sufficient numbers of applicants in each degree programme.
Implementation of structural reforms that support growth and regional impactRead more
- According to the maintaining organisation's decision, the youth education and study places of TUAS are concentrated in Turku and Salo. The regions of Loimaa and Uusikaupunki will, in the future, provide focused adult education and research and development activities that support the businesses in those regions.
- Turku and Satakunta Universities of Applied Sciences will, under the direction of the maintaining organisations, clarify opportunities for inter-regional strategic collaboration. Such collaboration covers the division of labour between fields of study, enhancement of quality and impact, and enhancement of international activities.
- Turku and Satakunta Universities of Applied Sciences will, under the direction of the maintaining organisations, determine common willingness, and future activities, to deepen collaboration and initiate possible structural revisions that will conform with the national higher education policy of the Ministry of Education and Culture. The goal of this collaboration ought to be the preservation of viable universities of applied sciences in Turku and Satakunta, strengthen the division of labour between areas of know-how, strengthen links to working life on the South-Western coast, and consider the network of institutional units through these goals.
- By the end of 2012, the maintaining organisation of TUAS, the City of Turku, will investigate and make decisions about possible changes in the maintenance of TUAS.
Operations will be focused in Western FinlandRead more
- Regional focus will improve students' employment opportunities.
- TUAS collaborates in development programmes in the regional innovation system.
- Together with universities, universities of applied sciences, and other educational institutions,TUAS strengthens the regional know how and innovation concentration in the Science Park area at Kupittaa.
- Advisory boards assess and propose measures to develop teaching, based on the internal self-evaluation of degree programmes.
- TUAS will commit itself to common graphic standards and strengthen the brand value of TUAS with positive media releases, professional publications and social media, and reports on regional impact and quality.
International education, research, and developmentRead more
Domestic internationalisation as a stepping stone to abroad
- Domestic internationalisation is supported by increasing studies offered in English through the Open university of applies sciences.
- All degree programmes will include a module on internationalisation so that it can be implemented flexibly as an international educational offering of high quality or as common studies within the degree programme.
- The number of foreign students and personnel will be increased.
- International counselling and tutoring will be enhanced.
Strategic collaboration will be increased
- TUAS will deepen its strategic collaboration with Hogeschool Utrecth and, together with business and other institutions in Southwest Finland, broaden its network of strategic collaborators to geographical areas that are important for exports.
Teaching, research, and development activities reach and demonstrate high quality internationally
- The number of international degree programmes will be increased. International initiatives of exporting know-how increase external funding and improve international competence. International professional books and journal articles will be increased.
Competence will reach world-class levelRead more
- TUAS will ensure the well-being of its working community, community-based endurance, working community and leadership skills, and collaboration of personnel.
- TUAS will recruit only individuals who meet the required qualifications.
- When teachers are recruited for even short periods of time, their capabilities for research and development and internationalisation is valued, in addition to their teaching skills.
- The working life knowledge of teachers and personnel with doctoral degrees will be increased.
- Competence is profiled in a manner that grants it national recognition and achieves the world-class level.
- The personnel's working-life approach will be developed to a well-functioning interaction.
- TUAS will arrange to its personnel educational opportunities from its offerings in continuing education and Open university of applied sciences.
- The integration of research and development to teaching will be clarified and enhanced.
- Research supervision will be enhanced and broadened as one of the activities of faculties.
- Remuneration for continuing education will be instated in order to increase external funding.
Collaboration increases external fundingRead more
- Marketing of services will be increased as well as external funding for programme-based innovations and continuing education.
- Teaching, and particularly programme-based project activities, will be developed by utilizing consultative committees, specifically to serve small and medium size businesses.
- Contract education will be marketed outside EU/EEA when possible.
- Cost efficiency and synergy will be increased by creating larger entities for specific activities based on policy definitions for structural development and the development of maintenance models.
- Working life approach and dialogue with business create partnerships that aim at long-term and mutually beneficial collaboration.
- Collaboration with and division of labour between vocational education and universities will be developed further.
Development programmes support regional innovation systemsRead more
- The profile of the Turku University of Applied Sciences is known for its multidisciplinary innovative pedagogy, where entrepreneurship, applied research and development, and internationalisation are integrated with teaching in order to support innovations made on work places in Western Finland.
- Development projects that cohere with this profile focus on the following areas: applied information and communication technology, biocomtence and business know-how, expertise in health care and medicetion, lifelong well-being services, marine environment and construction expertise, working-life based approches to creative arts.
- Development programmes are implemented in collaboration with other competence and inno-vation systems in the region.
- Development projects implement strategies and programmes of the City of Turku and consider the needs of working life and businesses in Western Finland.