Page updated 28.2.2019
Students of Film and media, advertising


You can find the answers to frequently asked questions about joint application and applying on this page. If you can't find the answer to your question, please contact the Admissions Office by e-mail.

Accessibility in student admissions

Read more

An applicant may submit a separate application to request the right to special arrangements for taking an entrance examination. The application should indicate the types of special arrangements being requested and the grounds for the request. The applicant should enclose copies of the certificates to which he or she makes appeal. As a general rule, the statements should be not more than five (5) years old. The application contains more detailed information about the attachments.

In cases where an issue entitling an applicant to special arrangements already exists during the application period, an application for special arrangements for entrance examinations must be submitted by the common deadline decided by the universities of applied sciences (see instructions, in Finnish only). The applicant must submit a separate application to each university of applied sciences to which he or she has submitted an application. A university of applied sciences may provide additional instructions, for example related to two-stage admissions. The application should be submitted to the admissions offices of the relevant higher education institutions.

If an issue entitling an applicant to special arrangements emerges or is identified between the end of the application period and the entrance examination date, the applicant must submit an application for special arrangements to the admissions offices of each university of applied sciences arranging the entrance examinations that he or she intends to take without delay. The university of applied sciences may deny an applicant the right to special arrangements if such arrangements are impossible to implement, for example because of schedule-related reasons.

Special arrangements for entrance examinations are specific to each programme choice and valid only on a specific examination date. Procedures indicated by good governance must be followed when making the decisions. The applicant will receive a notification (not a decision) about the special arrangements sufficiently early before the entrance examination. Any attachments to applications for special arrangements shall be secret.

If you are a refugee and unable to submit the documents

Read more

A person with refugee status or an asylum seeker may apply and be accepted to study in education just as any other eligible citizen of Finland or any other country.

It the applicant is a refugee, has status comparable to a refugee or is an asylum seeker, and he or she cannot thus verify his or her previous degree with relevant documentation, the higher education institution may invite the applicant to take an entrance exam or, if necessary, submit the application for academic assessment. The higher education institution of the degree programme will use the report requested from the applicant as basis for making the decision on whether the documentation on the previous degree is sufficient. Turku UAS accepts also Alien’s passports, which have the note “identity not confirmed”.

The applicant must have a decision by the authorities concerning his or her status (decision on asylum or residence permit on the basis of protection). The applicant must submit a copy of the relevant decision within a previously notified time limit to the admissions services of all the higher education institutions where he or she is applying.

In order to declare his or her status, an asylum seeker who has not yet been granted a decision may verify his or her status by presenting an identity card with his or her photograph granted by Migri and, when required by the degree programme, a fee-based (€20) pending application by Migri that states that the applicant is permitted to legally reside in Finland during the time when his or her case is being processed, i.e. until a lawful decision has been made on the case.

Postponing the beginning of the studies

Read more

You can register as non-attending for the academic year only for the following reasons:

  1. If you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability, and will be non-attending for one semester or the whole academic year
  2. Maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave
  3. Completion of military service, civilian service or voluntary military service for women in Finland

Documents proving the legal grounds for the absence must be submitted to the admission office after confirming the study place. Please check the deadline from page Required Documents.

Previous years' entrance examinations

Read more

Business field

Entrance examination in joint application 2018 for Bachelor's degree programme in International Business is available here .

Technology field

Previous years' entrance examinations for Bachelor's degree programmes in technology field are available here .

Request for Rectification

Read more

An applicant can make a written request for rectification to the Board of Student Affairs of Turku University of Applied Sciences within 14 days after receiving the decision on student selection in case he/she can satisfactorily prove that the decision has not been made according to the admission criteria.

Please note the following:

  • favorable decision is possible only if all the eligibility/admission requirements are fulfilled
  • decision can be changed only in case it has not been made according to the admission criteria
  • it is not possible to change the admission criteria on the basis of an appeal
  • it is not possible to supplement the application afterwards (late documents will not be considered)
  • possible delays in getting the required certificates in time or delays in postal delivery do not take away applicant's responsibility of delivering all the required certificates by the deadline
  • incapability to attend in the entrance examination, health reasons, difficult life situation, misunderstanding etc. will not affect the decision

Before writing the request for rectification, please check the admission criteria of the study programme in question at and then contact the Admission Services by e-mail for more detailed information on the grounds of the decision: If after contacting the Admission Services you still think that the decision has not been made according to the admission criteria, you can make the request for rectification.

Request for rectification has to clearly identify what the appeal is concerning, and the justification for revising the original decision. Student admission decision can be changed only in those cases where it is clearly shown that the student admission criteria has not been followed. Therefore, the appeal must be well-grounded and it should contain accurate information on where the polytechnic/UAS has not followed the criteria. The request must also contain the applicant’s personal and contact information. Documents supporting the rectification are attached to the request.

The request for rectification must be addressed to:

Turku University of Applied Sciences
Board of Student Affairs /Register Office
Joukahaisenkatu 3
20520 Turku

Turku Uninversity of Applied Sciences will send the decision by post.

Work experience requirements for Master's degree programmes

Read more

In order to be eligible, applicants must have three years (36 months) of work experience accumulated as from the date of award of the final degree certificate and obtained no later than 31 July for the spring application period and no later than 31 December for the autumn application period.

Universities of applied sciences also accept work experience obtained after completion of a postsecondary or higher vocational level diploma in Finland (in any field of education) but prior to taking the higher education degree. In such cases, too, at least three years of work experience obtained in a relevant field is required.

Entrepreneurship will be accepted as work experience if an applicant can produce a certificate attesting that he or she is or has been covered under the statutory YEL or MYEL pension scheme (YEL = statutory pension scheme for entrepreneurs; MYEL = statutory pension scheme for farmers, forest estate owners, fishers and reindeer herders and their family members). Enterprising activities abroad should be substantiated with comparable official documents.

Instead of work experience, artistic activities of equivalent duration, verifiable by evidence such as a portfolio, may be required in the fields of Crafts and Design, Media and Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance, and Music (Act 932/2014).

In Seafaring, at least six months of officer service aboard a vessel approved by the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi), as per an extract of the seamen’s register, is accepted for the Master’s Degree Programme in Marine Technology (Master Mariner). An additional requirement is work experience in the seafaring field, either at sea or on land, to the extent that the above-mentioned officer duties and other seafaring work experience constitute at least three years of work experience add up to at least three years (36 months) of work experience.

Work experience should be indicated in full months. When converting part-time work into its full-time equivalent, 150 hours or 20 working days lasting at least 7 hours per day correspond to one month of work. Work experience does not have to be continuous or obtained working for the same employer. The amount of work experience points awarded for simultaneous employment relationships may not exceed the amount awarded for full-time employment.

Military or non-military national service, women’s voluntary military service or child-care leave will not be counted towards work experience.