Page updated 18.4.2017
before arrival.jpg

Before Arrival 

Once you have been accepted as an exchange student to TUAS, you can start preparing your study-abroad period.

Below you can find information about things you should take care of before your arrival to Finland. 

Residence permit and visa

Read more

Students outside of EU and ETA countries need a residence permit or visa to study in Finland. Remember to start the application process immediately after you receive the letter of acceptance.

If you are staying maximum of 90 days you might need a visa. Check the Finland Foreign Affairs Ministry's country specific list for required travelling documents.

Residence permit
If you are staying more than three months you need to apply for a residence permit through Finnish Migration Services. You can find the application procedure at
Remember to apply for the Finnish Personal Identity Code together with the residence permit. More information here.

Check also the here.

Required Health Documents

Read more

Student Health Care Center requires all the students who are coming from or who have visited high-burden tuberculosis countries (see list below) to return the following health documents:

List of high-burden tuberculosis countries and areas

The documents have to be provided by the home country. Please send a scanned copy of the documents to exchange.students(at) before your arrival and bring the original copies with you. The documents must be in English.

You won't be registered as a student at TUAS if you don't provide us the required health documents before your arrival. 

The original copies of the Health Documents required of students coming to study / do practical training at Turku University of Applied Sciences will be collected in the beginning of the semester / practical training by the Health Nurse or the faculty international staff.

Arrival Information

Read more

Arrival Form
It is very important that we know the exact date and time of your arrival so that your student tutor can meet you when you arrive in Turku. 
NB! You are expected to arrive in Turku on a working day (Mon-Fri) between 8:00 and 22:00. This way your student tutor is most likely to be able to help you with your arrival. Please note that you should inform your arrival time to Turku (airport, bus or train station) or Salo.

Submit information concerning your arrival by filling in the arrival form at least two weeks before your arrival:

Travelling to Turku and Salo
Find out more about the best ways to travel to Turku and Salo at  How to Find Us .


Read more

Orientations are held at the start of the semester. All the orientation days are mandatory for new exchange students. During the orientation you will receive all the necessary information regarding your studies at TUAS as well as some useful tips for your exchange life in Turku.

Each TUAS faculty holds their own faculty orientation where the students receive the official documents from TUAS (study certificate, username and password for computer systems and meal subsidy card) and an introductory to their faculty at TUAS.

General orientation is held by the International Student Services. The general orientation includes presentations of the practical matters (accommodation, starting package, online systems) as well as student organizations and about the Finnish culture. The general orientation is held right after the faculty orientations and before the courses start. 

See the orientation dates on the right.

Student tutors

Read more

Student tutors are Finnish students who are interested in meeting people from different cultures.

Your student tutor will meet you when you arrive and help you with practical matters at the beginning of your stay in Finland. She/he will contact you by email before your arrival; please remeber to also check your junk e-mail folder as sometimes messages can be automatically directed there. Please respond to your tutor as soon as possible and always keep her/him informed on your situation. If you for some reason do not hear from your tutor, please contact the International Student Services (exchange.students[a]

Your student tutor will also keep you informed about any free time activities with other Finnish and international students.

Please note that your student tutor is most likely to be able to help you with your arrival if you arrive during weekdays between 8.00-22.00.

Starting package

Read more

The student unions of the universities in Turku (TYY, ÅAS), the student union of the Novia University of Applied Sciences (Novium), and the Turku University of Applied Science (TUAS) run a starting package storage where exchange students can borrow a package with household items which they then return before they leave Turku.

Starting package in Turku

Insurance and student health care

Read more

Health care
Health services are provided to all exchange students in TUAS.

EU nationals and citizens of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein who possess a European health care card, and citizens of Quebec:
You have the same benefits as degree students

Student from other countries:
You are eligible for health nurses services. For doctors appoitment you need to use a private health care centers. In addition, you need to have health care insurance covering your medical expenses.

TUAS has taken out an accident insurance for incoming exchange students. The insurance covers accidents occured during student’s course curriculum and direct travel between the university campus and place of accommodation.

TUAS strongly recommends students to take out a comprehensive insurance (health, travel, accommodation) for their exchange period.


Read more

Student Life

Read more

We are sure that you will be pleased with your decision to come to Turku and TUAS. During your curriculum you will learn the latest know-how available on your field of study, and on your leisure time you will be able to join the various activities organised for exchange students.

More information: Services for students