For new path students
Congratulations on your path study place and welcome to Turku University of Applied Sciences!
This page contains information and instructions for path studies, as well as group-specific information on orientation locations and times. Familiarise yourself with the instructions immediately after accepting your path study place. No separate instructions will be sent by email.
Checklist for the first day of studies:
- Make sure you have read and understood all the information on this page.
- Check the time and location of your group specific orientation at the bottom of this page.
- Take a photo ID with you on the first day.
- Bring your own laptop - Turku UAS has increased the use of students’ own devices in studies.
Before beginning your studies
1. Activate your user ID and MFA
You can usually activate your user ID a few days after accepting your study place on Studyinfo.fi. If you are unable to activate the user ID, try again in a few days. In case of continuing problems with activation, please contact servicedesk[at]turkuamk.fi.
Activating your user ID in the ID service requires Finnish online banking credentials or mobile ID for authentication. After activating your user ID, you will receive your user ID, email address and student ID code. Please write them down!
Turku University of Applied Sciences user IDs require multi-factor authentication (MFA). Please register MFA after activating your user ID. Read the instructions at https://www.tuas.fi/mfa.
2. Start your studies now – go online with DigiStart
Start your path studies by completing your first steps as a Turku UAS student. DigiStart gives you all you need to know about studying at Turku UAS before your actual studies start. You will learn about various aspects of your studies here, such as our approach to studying, the tools we use, and support for studies. You will receive a badge after successful completion of the course.
The course is available on our online learning environment, itslearning. Please follow the instructions below to start the course:
- Log in at https://turkuamk.itslearning.com
- Select ’Login with HAKA’ and use the ID that you received when you activated your Turku UAS user ID
- On the front page of itslearning, please choose ’Courses’ and then click on ’DigiStart A22’
- Follow the instructions given on the course page.
You can access DigiStart course as soon as you have activated your Turku UAS user ID. It is a good idea to start the course straight away, so that you have the best possible start for your path studies. Once you are familiar with the approaches and tools for learning, you are ready to start your studies at Turku UAS!
DigiStart is available in English and Finnish. The language is determined according to your path studies programme.
If you cannot find DigiStart course in itslearning, you can join the course by yourself. Choose in itslearning Courses > All courses > Site course catalogue and join the DigiStart course.
If you need help with DigiStart, please contact us at: email@example.com
3. Participate in orientation to studies
Path students participate in the degree studies orientation. The times and location of orientation can be found in the discipline-specific instructions at the bottom of this page. During orientation, you will get to know TUAS study practices, teachers and other group members.
The orientation days are a compulsory part of the studies. If for compelling reasons you are unable to participate in the orientation or have been accepted to path studies after orientation has already started, please concact the Study Guidance Counsellor of your field. Their contact information can be found in the discipline-specific instructions at the bottom of this page.
Please be sure to bring a picture ID and your laptop with you to orientation. It is recommended that you arrive on foot, by bike or by public transportation, as parking near our campuses is very limited.
Duration of Path Studies
Your path study right at Turku UAS is for one academic year (i.e. two semesters). Hence, your study right ends either on 31 July (those who started their studies in the autumn) or 31 December (those who started in the spring).
You cannot apply for an extension of your path studies. If you are unable to complete the required credits by the end of the application period for separate application through Open UAS, you can select courses from the Open Studies individual course selection. The courses are subject to a charge. Please note that courses from all fields or all courses are not offered.
The semester fee for path studies is EUR 200, which means that the fee for an academic year is EUR 400. All path students are obligated to pay the semester fee regardless of nationality or type of residence permit.
The semester fee is paid with an e-form: e-form for payment .
You can select the method of payment on the e-form. Please note that if you do not pay your semester fee on time, your bill will be forwarded to a recollection agency.
- New path students: please pay your semester fee as soon as possible after accepting your study place on Studyinfo.fi.
By accepting the offered study place on Studyinfo you commit to paying the semester fee. More specific information on our terms of cancellation can be found under Discontinuing path studies.
- Path students starting their second semester: please pay your semester fee by the end of January or September.
Please note that the semester fee of EUR 200 only applies to Open UAS studies. If you are accepted as a degree student, you may be obligated to pay a tuition fee for degree studies.
NB! If you are unable to complete the semester fee payment using the e-form, please contact Open UAS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuudo, a mobile app for students
Download Tuudo mobile application as soon as you have received information about study place in Turku UAS. Tuudo is available for Android and iOS mobile devices. Find Turku University of Applied Sciences in the menu and choose New Student button when you can access the content without logging in.
In Tuudo, you can see for example campus maps and general news for students. Later when you have activated your user ID and log in to Tuudo, you can also see your personal timetable, follow the progress of your studies and reserve rooms for studying. You can also start using Tuudo's digital Open UAS student card which entitles you to a small discount at selected student restaurants.
Benefits and services for path students
As a path student, you complete your studies in degree students' groups, and are part of the Turku UAS student community. Path studies do not lead to a degree, so some of your benefits and rights differ from those of degree students. However, many services offered to degree students also apply to path students. Please see below for a list of benefits available to you!
As a path student, you can...
- get a small discount from student cafeterias in Turku and on Salo IoT Campus with an electronic Open UAS student card
- apply for a student apartment from Turku Student Village Foundation
- get a student discount for a Föli travel card (more specific instructions to follow)
- become a member of Student Union TUO and order a green student card
- obtain user rights to CampusSport sport services
- utilise Study Counselling Psychologist’s services
- complete Open Studies evening courses free of charge (not currently available)
- complete CampusOnline courses free of charge
- complete practical training as a part of your studies
- use the same software and complete the same certificates as degree students
- apply for a degree study right at TUAS through Open UAS separate application
Path students cannot...
- receive student financial aid or a student loan from KELA (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland)
- get student discounts from VR or Matkahuolto
- utilize student health care services (YTHS)
- have their prior studies accredited: credit transfer for possible earlier studies can be obtained only in degree studies
Open UAS student card
Path students are not eligible for student financial aid or meal subsidy from Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland). TUAS provides path students with an electronic Open UAS student card, with which you can get a small discount at student restaurants in Turku (Unica, Sodexo) and on Salo IoT campus. You can also use your electronic Open UAS student card to obtain a discount for a Föli travel card.
Your electronic student card is available on the Tuudo mobile app. After logging in, please see the menu in the top left corner of your screen, under the TUAS logo. Your Open UAS student card must state that you are a path student in order to be valid.
For specific discount amounts and instructions for obtaining the discount, please ask at the restaurant in question.
If for some reason you cannot access Tuudo, you may receive a cardboard meal subsidy card. Please pick one up from the Student Office service point during opening hours.
Path studies as a TE Office or Kuntakokeilu client
If you need a TE Office or Kuntakokeilu form (e.g. TEM621) filled out, please follow the instructions below.
- TEM621 forms: you can request the form by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Any other forms for TE Office or Kuntakokeilu: please fill in your own information on the form in an electornic, editable format (e.g. PDF). Send the pre-filled form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will send the filled out form back to you by e-mail. Please note that there may be delays in processing these forms at the beginning of each semester (August–September and January).
Turku UAS is obligated to provide information on your studies to officials upon request.
NB! If you are unemployed and wisth to complete path studies while registered as a job seeker at TE Office or Kuntakokeilu, you may need to complete less than 5 ECTS credits per month. In this case, please let Open UAS know of your situation when you request a TE Office or Kuntakokeilu form. We will then fill in the scope of your path studies as 35 ECTS credits. Please note that you yourself are responsible for ensuring that your studies do not exceed the credit limit set by TE Office or Kuntakokeilu.
Study Guide, Lukkarikone and Messi
During orientation week, you will be instructed on how to select courses in the Peppi system, and get information on using TUAS systems. You do not have to enroll on path studies courses by yourself in advance. You should, however, familiarise yourself with the following sites:
- The Study Guide contains the degree programmes’ courses, their extent and timing. On the study guide, you can view 1st year courses separately from the following academic years. The ongoing and future implementations of courses are also listed in the study guide.
- On Lukkarikone you can see teaching schedules and check teaching facilities. You can also see group-specific schedules of implementations.
- Messi is the TUAS intranet, where you can find necessary instructions for studying. Study-related news are updated on Messi, and students are expected to check the news weekly.
Discontinuing Open UAS studies and cancellation policy
- resignation announcement (identification with online banking codes or mobile ID).
- If you cannot access either of the identification options, you can file the resignation announcement with the form alternative resignation announcement (requires a student ID code).
Path studies can only be discontinued with the e-forms listed above. Resignation announcements via email to a teacher or other member of staff are not accepted.
Accepting a study place on Studyinfo obligates you to pay the semester fee for the first semester (EUR 200). You can avoid the fee for the next semester if you cancel the path studies by the end of the semester (31 December or 31 July by 23:59). If you discontinue your path studies mid-semester, you must pay the tuition fee for the ongoing semester.
A negative decision from the Employment Office (TE-toimisto) does not entitle you to a cancellation of the semester fee. A path study place can only be cancelled free of charge with a valid doctor’s certificate. The certificate must demonstrate a long-term illness that prevents the completion of studies. If you have to cancel your path studies due to such an illness, please submit a doctor's certificate on your resignation announcment form.
Discontinuing Open UAS studies when transferring to degree studies
You must submit a resignation announcement with the e-form linked above if you are accepted as a degree student while completing your path studies. Open UAS is not informed of granted degree study rights. If you do not submit a resignation announcement, you are required to pay the semester fee for the current semester.
Please make sure to submit a resignation announcement if...
- You are accepted as a degree student through joint application during your path studies
- You are accepted as a degree student through separate application during your path studies
- You are accepted as a degree student at a different higher education institution and wish to discontinue your path studies
You are not required to submit a resignation announcement if you are accepted as a degree student through Open UAS separate application after completing the full two semesters of your path studies.
If you are accepted as a Master-level degree student through Open UAS separate application, you are not required to submit a resignation announcement. You must, however, pay the semester fee for the semester during which you were accepted as a degree student. If you do not complete any Open UAS path studies during said semester, you may request a refund of your semester fee from Open UAS. Similarly, if the study fees (15 € / ECTS) for the studies you complete through Open UAS during said semester add up to less than the semester fee (200 €), you may request a partial refund from Open UAS.
Applying for a degree study right after path studies
You cannot complete a degree as a path student.
After completing your path studies, you can apply for a degree study right in the field where you completed path studies. Application for a degree study right takes place through Open UAS separate application.
Please see the website on separate applications for more information on applying, application schedules and admission criteria.
Application to Bachelor’s degree studies through Open UAS separate application takes place twice a year. Application to Master’s degree studies through Open UAS separate application is ongoing, apart from December and June–August. .
To be eligible to apply through Open UAS separate application, you are required to have completed a certain number of credits by the end of the application period. A minimum grade average may also be set, which you must achieve to be able to apply. If there are more applicants than starting places, students are selected based on the grade average.
Path students can also apply in the joint application.
Whom should I contact?
As a path student, you can get support from several different parties. Please get to know the descriptions on the areas of responsibility below, so that you know whom you should contact.
Study guidance counsellor
Please see the discipline specific instructions on orientation at the bottom of this page for the name and contact details of your study guidance counsellor. You can contact your study guidance counsellor for e.g. the following:
- Planning of studies
- Contents of the studies
- Questions related to studying and implementation of teaching,
- Encountering bullying and other difficult situations in life
You will be assigned a tutor teacher during orientation. You can contact your tutor teacher for the following:
- Individual study plan (ISP) and planning the studies
- Structure of the first year of studies
- Questions related to practical training
- Using Peppi and enrolments on Peppi
- Encountering bullying
Teachers of individual courses are responsible for answering questions regarding the following:
- Course contents and methods of implementation
- Course timetables
- Enrolment for implementations and rejecting enrolments
- The itslearning workspace
Your peer tutor is a student who has started their studies in previous years, and who will help you during the first year of studies. In addition, sports tutors bring students to exercise together. You can get in touch with your peer tutor on the following matters:
- Studying and student life
- Questions on the city and region
- Student events
- Encountering bullying
Student union TUO
You can access the services offered by TUO for path students once you have become a member of TUO.
Benefits to joining TUO:
- Expert services (e.g. problem situations related to leases, employment relationships, cohabitation or marriage)
- Harassment officer
- TUO’s events
- Support in the studies
- Club activities
Open UAS (email@example.com)
Please contact Open UAS with questions regarding the following:
- Applying for a degree study right throuhg Open UAS separate application
- Filling Employment office forms
- Transcripts of records or registration certificates
- Questions related to discontinuing the studies
Student Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can contact the Student Office for instructions on picking up a cardboard meal subsidy card if you are unable to use the electronic card on Tuudo.
As a path student, you are an Open UAS student and should contact Open UAS with any other administrative matters.
If you apply for and are accepted in degree studies, you study administrative affairs are transferred to the Student Office.
Please contact IT services at email@example.com with any questions concerning your TUAS user ID or Turku UAS systems, websites or applications.
Time and date of orientation for new path students in January 2023
Master of Business Administration, Business Management
- Study group ID: YBINBK23
- Starting date and time: Monday 9 January 2023 at 08:30 AM
- Instructions for new students (PDF): Business Management
Master of Business Administration, Sales Management
- Study group ID: YSMANK23
- Starting date and time: Monday 9 January 2023 at 08:30 AM
- Instructions for new students (PDF): Sales Management