For new path students
Congratulations on your path study place and welcome to Turku University of Applied Sciences!
This page contains information and instructions for path studies, as well as group-specific information on orientation locations and times. Familiarise yourself with the instructions immediately after accepting your path study place. No separate instructions will be sent by email.
Checklist for the first day of studies:
- Make sure you have read and understood all the information on this page.
- Check the time and location of your group specific orientation at the bottom of this page.
- Take a photo ID with you on the first day.
- Bring your own laptop - Turku UAS has increased the use of students’ own devices in studies.
Before beginning your studies
Activate your user ID
Activate your user ID at https://id.turkuamk.fi .
You can usually activate your user ID a few days after accepting your study place on Studyinfo.fi. If you are unable to activate the user ID, try again in a few days. In case of continuing problems with activation, please contact servicedesk[at]turkuamk.fi.
Activating your user ID in the ID service requires Finnish banking codes or mobile ID for authentication. If you do not have a Finnish social security number, please contact servicedesk[at]turkuamk.fi.
In connection with the registeration, you will receive your user ID, email address and student ID code. Please write them down!
Log in to Turku UAS systems
After activating your user ID, please make sure to log in to the following systems:
- study guide
- course search
You do not have to select the courses to be completed in path studies independently beforehand. Support will be provided during the orientation week. During the orientation week, you will also get to know the systems in more detail.
Orientation to studies
All path students must participate in orientation. No separate instructions will be sent to students on starting studies. The required instructions are available on this page.
No separate orientation is organised for path students. Path students participate in the degree studies orientation. The times and location of orientation can be found in the group-specific instructions at the bottom of this page. During orientation, you will get to know TUAS study practices, teachers and other group members.
The orientation days are a compulsory part of the studies. If for compelling reasons you are unable to participate in the orientation or have been accepted to path studies after the orientation week has already started, please concact the Study Counsellor of your field. Their contact information can be found in the group-specific instructions.
Duration of Path Studies
Your path study right at Turku UAS is for one academic year (i.e. two semesters). Hence, your study right ends either on 31 July (those who started their studies in the autumn) or 31 December (those who started in the spring).
You cannot apply for an extension of your path studies. If you are unable to complete the required credits by the end of the application period for separate application through Open UAS, you can select courses from the Open Studies individual course selection. The courses are subject to a charge. Please note that courses from all fields or all courses are not offered.
Benefits and rights of path students
As a path student, you will complete your studies in degree students' groups, and are a part of Turku UAS' student community. Path studies do not lead to a degree, so some of your benefits and rights differ from those of degree students - though many services offered to degree students also apply to path students. Please see below for a list of benefits available to you!
As a path student, you can...
- get a small discount from student cafeterias in Turku and on Salo IoT Campus with a meal subsidy card
- apply for specific allowances (not student financial aid) on a case-by-case basis
- More specific information under Student aid
- apply for a student apartment from Turku Student Village Foundation
- get a student discount for a Föli travel card ( more specific terms here )
- become a member of Student Union TUO and order a green student card
- obtain user rights to CampusSport ’s sport services
- access the Study Counsellor’s services
- utilise the Study Counselling Psychologist’s services
- complete Open Studies’ evening courses free of charge
- complete CampusOnline courses free of charge
- complete practical training as a part of your studies
- use the same software and complete the same certificates as the degree students
- apply as a degree student at TUAS through the Open UAS separate application
Meal subsidy card for path students
Path students are not eligible for meal subsidy from Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland). Path students may get a meal card, with which the price of a meal in student cafeterias in Salo and Turku is about EUR 4.60. The meal cards are distributed during orientation week. If you are unable to attend the orientation week or you misplace your meal card, you can obtain a new card from the Student Office service point.
Path students cannot...
- receive a study grant or student loan from KELA (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland)
- get student discounts from VR or Matkahuolto
- utilize student health care services (YTHS)
- complete JOO studies
- have their prior studies accredited
- Credit transfer for possible earlier studies can be obtained only in degree studies
The semester fee for path studies is EUR 200, which means that the fee for an academic year is EUR 400. All path students are obligated to pay the semester fee regardless of nationality or type of residence permit.
The semester fee is paid with an e-form: e-form for payment .
You can select the method of payment on the e-form. Neglecting to pay the semester fee will result in cancellation of your study right, and your bill will be forwarded to a recollection agency.
By accepting the offered study place on Studyinfo you commit to paying the semester fee. More specific information on our terms of cancellation can be found under Discontinuing path studies.
Please note that the semester fee of EUR 200 only applies the right to study as an Open Studies student. If you are accepted as a degree student, you may be obligated to pay a tuition fee for degree studies.
Tuudo, Study Guide, Lukkarikone and Messi
During orientation week, you will be instructed on how to select courses in the Peppi system, and get information on using TUAS systems. You do not have to enroll on path studies course by yourself in advance. You should, however, familiarise yourself with the following sites:
The Study Guide contains the degree programmes’ courses, their extent and timing. On the study guide, you can view 1st year courses separately from the following academic years. The ongoing and future implementations of courses are also listed in the study guide.
On Lukkarikone you can see teaching schedules and check teaching facilities. You can also see group-specific schedules of implementations.
Messi is the TUAS intranet, where you can find necessary instructions for studying. Study-related news are updated on Messi, and students are expected to check the news weekly.
The Tuudo App (for Android and iOS) is your guide to student life!
Download the app free of charge once you have accepted your study place as a path student.
In the Tuudo menu, find Turku University of Applied Sciences and click on “For new students”. This allows you to access the service without logging in. Instructions for new students are compiled as their own package on Tuudo. Additionally, you can view the campus maps and current news for students on Tuudo. After having activated your user ID you can log in on Tuudo and view your personal course timetables and check the progress of your studies.
Discontinuing Open UAS studies and cancellation policy
- resignation announcement (identification with online banking codes or mobile ID).
- If you cannot access either of the identification options, you can file the resignation announcement with the form alternative resignation announcement (requires a student ID code).
Path studies can only be discontinued with the e-forms listed above. Resignation announcements via email to a teacher or other member of staff are not accepted.
Accepting a study place on Studyinfo obligates you to pay the semester fee for the first semester (EUR 200). You can avoid the fee for the next semester if you cancel the path studies by the end of the semester (31 December or 31 July by 23:59). If you discontinue your path studies mid-semester, you must pay the tuition fee for the ongoing semester.
A negative decision from the Employment Office (TE-toimisto) does not entitle you to a cancellation of the semester fee. A path study place can only be cancelled free of charge with a valid doctor’s certificate. The certificate must demonstrate a long-term that prevents the completion of studies.
Discontinuing Open UAS studies when transferring to degree studies
You must submit a resignation announcement with the e-form linked above if you are accepted as a degree student while completing your path studies. Open UAS is not informed of granted degree study rights. If you do not submit a resignation announcement, you are required to pay the semester fee for the current semester.
Please make sure to submit a resignation announcement if...
- You are accepted as a degree student through joint application during your path studies
- You are accepted as a degree student through separate application during your path studies
- You are accepted as a degree student at a different higher education institution and wish to discontinue your path studies
You are not required to submit a resignation announcement if you are accepted as a degree student through Open UAS separate application after completing the full two semesters of your path studies.
If you are accepted as a Master-level degree student through Open UAS separate application, you are not required to submit a resignation announcement. You must, however, pay the semester fee for the semester during which you were accepted as a degree student. If you do not complete any Open UAS path studies during said semester, you may request a refund of your semester fee from Open UAS. Similarly, if the study fees (15 € / ECTS) for the studies you complete through Open UAS during said semester add up to less than the semester fee (200 €), you may request a partial refund from Open UAS.
Applying as a degree student from path studies
You cannot complete a degree as a path student.
After having completing your path studies, you can apply for a degree study right in the field where you completed path studies in. Application for a degree study right takes place through Open UAS separate application.
Please see the website on separate applications for more information on applying, application schedules and admission criteria.
Application to Bachelor’s degree studies through Open UAS separate application takes place twice a year. Application to Master’s degree studies through Open UAS separate application is ongoing, apart from December and June–August. The numbers of study places available in Open UAS separate application match the numbers of path studies study places.
To be eligible to apply through Open UAS separate application, you are required to have completed a certain number of credits by the end of the application period. A minimum grade average may also be set, which you must achieve to be able to apply. If there are more applicants than starting places, students are selected based on the grade average.
Path students can also apply in the joint application.
Campuses and traffic connections
Whom should I contact?
You can get support from several different parties in your studies. Please get to know the descriptions on the areas of responsibility below, so that you know whom you should contact.
The information of the study counsellor is found in the field-specific instructions on starting the studies
- Planning of studies
- Contents of the studies
- Questions related to studying, implementation of teaching, the entity of studies
- Encountering bullying and other difficult situations in life
The information of the tutor teacher is found in the field-specific instructions on starting the studies or the student will get to know who their tutor teacher is in the orientation week.
- Individual study plan (ISP) and planning the studies
- Structure of the first year of studies
- Questions related to practical training
- Using Peppi and enrolments in Peppi
- Encountering bullying
- Course contents and methods of implementation
- Course timetables
- Enrolment for implementations and rejecting enrolments
- The Optima workspace
The peer tutor is a student who has started his/her studies earlier and will help you during the first year of studies. In addition, sports tutors bring students to exercise together.
- Studying and student life
- Questions on the city and region
- Student events
- Encountering bullying
Student union TUO
You can access the services offered by TUO for path students once you have become a member of TUO.
- Joining the student union
- Expert services (e.g. problem situations related to leases, employment relationships, cohabitation or marriage)
- Harassment officer
- TUO’s events
- Support in the studies
- Club activities
- The Slice app
Open UAS (avoinamk[at]turkuamk.fi)
- Application through the open studies path (not questions related to the contents of the studies)
- Filling in the form for the Employment Office
- Ordering transcripts of records or registration certificates
- Questions related to discontinuing the studies (note: you cannot resign from the studies via email, it takes place with the resignation announcement only)
Student Office (opintoasiat[at]turkuamk.fi)
- Picking up the meal subsidy card, if you’re unable to obtain one from the tutor during the first week of studies
- As you are a path student, Open Studies are responsible for your study administration, not the Student Office
- If you apply for and are accepted in degree studies, you will transfer your study administrative affairs to the Student Office
You can contact the IT services at servicedesk[at]turkuamk.fi and get more information on the website of IT Services .
- User ID
- TUAS’ devices and systems
Starting times and places of Path Studies
Please see below for discipline specific PDF instructions for beginning your path studies.
Bacherelor's level programmes:
- Bachelor of Business Administration, International Business, Online, Path Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Path Studies, Turku
- Bachelor of Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Path Studies, Salo
Master level programmes: