Instructions for new degree students selected through Open Studies separate applications
These instructions apply to those new degree students who have been selected in a Open UAS separate application. For instructions for new students accepted through joint application, please see here: New Student's Guide.
Did you apply for a degree study right through Open UAS separate application?
If you are selected as a degree student through Open UAS separate applications, you will be informed of the selection via an automatic e-mail from Studyinfo.fi. The results will be published a maximum of 30 days after the end of the application period for Bachelor's degree studies, and a maximum of 30 days after applying for Master's degree studies.
You can check the status of your application by logging in to the My Studyinfo service.
Were you offered a degree study right after applying?
Proceed as follows:
- Accept the study place by the date mentioned in the e-mail notification on the My Studyinfo service.
- Register as present or absent for the next semester on the My Studyinfo service while you accept the study place. More information on the right to be absent below.
- Pay your obligatory student healthcare fee - for more information see the New Student's Guide under Obligatory Student Healthcare Fee.
- Carefully familiarise yourself with the instructions given below.
Change in student ID code and TUAS user ID
Your right to study for a degree begins
- on 1 August, when the application period is in the spring or
- on 1 January, when the application period is in the autumn.
Your Open Studies role will be terminated by the end of the semester, either on 31 July or on 31 December. Your student ID code will change when your new study right begins. Your new role will be visible on Tuudo a week after you transfer from Open UAS studies to degree studies.
You will receive an automated message warning you of the expiration of your user ID. You can ignore this message, as your user ID will remain valid once your new student ID code has been created.
If you have trouble accessing your TUAS user account, please try changing your password at id.turkuamk.fi .
You need to enrol on the course implementations of the following semester with your new student ID code in order to get the grades to your correct student ID code and access the folders of the implementations in question in Optima or Itslearning.
If you have already enrolled for implementations using your Open Studies student ID, these enrolments will be transfered.
Your TUAS Open Studies study attainments are manually accredited to your new student ID code. You do not need to apply for their accreditation separately. Please note that the accreditation does not happen immediately, and there may be delays.
Please contact your study guidance counsellor or tutor teacher prior to the start of the studies if you need information on starting your degree studies.
Please note that the one higher education study place provision also applies to Open UAS separate applications. More information on Studyinfo.fi.
Please also see The New Student's Guide for instructions concerning all new degree students at TUAS!
Registering as attending for the academic year
In addition to confirming your study place, you must register as an attending or non-attending student for the academic year.
- The link to registration service will be activated on Studyinfo when you have confirmed the study place.
- If you have questions about registering, please contact Open UAS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that if you are required to pay a tuition fee, registration is not possible before the tuition fee is paid. Instructions for tuition fee payment are sent in a separate email. If you do not pay the tuition fee and register as instructed, you will lose your study right.
Registering as non-attending
Please note that as a first year degree student, you can only register as non-attending (postpone the start of studies) on the following legal grounds:
- completion of military service or civilian service in Finland,
- maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave
- if you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your non-attendance (must be submitted through an online form ):
- Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995): Call-up order
- Maternity, paternity or parental leave: Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy. Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave.
- The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury: Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning the studies. Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. The student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.
First year student may also register as non-attending during the first academic year if they are prevented from starting the studies due to an official order related to the covid-19 epidemic or for any other serious reason related to the epidemic. This section of the Act applies only to registration for the academic year 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
Refund of semester fee for Master's degree students
If you are accepted as a Master's degree student through Open UAS separate application after completing path studies, you may be entitled to a partial or full refund of your latest semester fee payment.
- If you have paid the semester fee for the semester during which you were granted your Master's degree study right, and have completed Open UAS studies during said semester, you will be refunded the difference between the normal Open Studies fee (15 € / ECTS) and the semester fee (200 €).
- If you have paid the semester fee for the semester during which you were granted your Master's degree study right and have not completed Open UAS studies during said emester, you will be given a full refund (200 €).
Please contact Open UAS at email@example.com for further instructions.