Go to main content Go to search
Page updated 10.11.2021
Bachelor of Culture and Arts, Fine Arts

International Students

Welcome to study in Finland! Please read this information for the new international degree students who are starting the studies in Turku UAS.


Coming from abroad during coronavirus epidemic

The students arriving from abroad shall comply with the quarantine instructions provided by the authorities before arriving at any of the campuses. As for travel restrictions from your specific home country, please check the updated national guidelines on our government and Finnish Border guard webpages:

Restrictions during the coronavirus epidemic

The instructions of the Finnish Border Guard to passengers regarding entry to Finland

Read also the updating information about preparing for the coronavirus at Turku University of Applied Sciences

Health documents

Finnish student health service (FSHS) is responsible of student health services. However, FSHS do not cover urgent medical care or secondary health care in hospitals.

Students from EU-countries should have the EU-card (the European health insurance card) from your local social security office. The EU-card gives you access to medically necessary healthcare during your stay in Finland under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in Finland. For students from non-EU-countries, it is necessary to have an insurance that covers both accidents and illness.

According to the Act of Infectious Diseases, the students of social and health care need to have an adequate protection against specific infectious diseases. FSHS recommends that all new students take following laboratory tests and X-ray in their home country before the arrival to Finland. The tests may not be older than 6 months and all the results should be written in English.

 Laboratory tests / thorax

  • S-Hbs-Ag   (Hepatitis B serum anti gene)
  • S-HCV-Ab (Hepatitis C antibodies)
  • S-HIV-Ab (Human immunodeficiency virus)
  • S-Cardiolipin-Ab (Lues-antibodies)
  • X-ray examination of the lungs (Thorax). Please note, bring only results, not X-ray photographs!

The following vaccinations are obligatory for the student of health care:

  • Pertussis
  • MMR (Mumps=Parotitis, Measles=Morbilli, Rubella=German measles)
  • Hepatitis-B
  • Chickenpox

We also recommend vaccinations for

  • Polio
  • Tetanus
  • Diphtheria

You need to bring your Vaccination certificate (in English) included previous vaccination (how many doses, date, month, year).

Note, that there are restrictions on entry into Finland during the coronavirus pandemic. Please, check the current situation on the Finnish Border Guard website

You should contact FSHS no later than two weeks after your arrival in Finland. Make sure that you bring all medical certificates about vaccinations and tests with you.

For further information, please see the Finnish Student Health Service website.

Tuition fee

If you are required to pay tuition fee, your admission is conditional until you have paid the tuition fee or get exemption from it. You cannot register for the academic year before you have paid the whole tuition fee.


If you are non-EU/EEA citizen, make sure you have a valid health insurance. TUAS has insurance against injuries during studies, but it does not cover leisure time accidents or eventual illness during your stay. You are also required to have health insurance before applying for a residence permit for studies. You can, for instance, look into the following insurance providers which offer international health insurances for students:

If you are EU/EEA citizen, you are entitled to all health care services in Finland if they are covered by health insurance in your own country. Ask for an European Health Insurance Card from your local authorities.

Residence permit

Non-EU/EEA students need a student residence permit when they stay in Finland more than 3 months.

Start the application process for residence permit immediately when you have received information of admission because the process can take several months. You can begin the student residence permit application process online at Enterfinland.fi. Remember that you must personally visit a Finnish embassy or a consulate as a part of this process. Please note that you must attach the bank statement of the completed tuition fee payment to the residence permit application also. 

Start your residence permit process as soon as possible, carefully following the immigration authorities' instructions and regulations, so that you can receive your permit in good time before your studies begin!  

You can find detailed information and advice on the residence permit requirements and procedures on the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) website. Please follow the Finnish Immigration Service’s Corona page for further updates.  

Please note that the Finnish Immigration Service does not necessarily grant a residence permit for TUAS’ Master School studies, as there are only two contact lesson days per month. In case the residence permit is not granted, the student may apply for a travel visa for the contact lesson days.

Moving to Finland

You must make a notification of move to The Digital and Population Data Services Agency if you are moving to Finland permanently or living in a new address takes more than three months. Read more on the Digital and Population Data Services Agency website.

In addition, a foreign citizen living in Finland needs to  register in the Population Information System and then he/she receives a personal identity code. The personal identity code is used especially in the activities and information systems of the authorities. Also Turku UAS needs your personal identity code for the student register. Please contact the Student Office as soon as you have it.