Instructions for New Degree Students accepted in joint application
These instructions are for those who are accepted in autumn 2023 joint application to Turku University of Applied Sciences.
1. Accept the offer of admission
You need to accept the offer of admission by 1 December 2023 3:00 pm Finnish time (or within 7 days from the accepting date if accepted from the waiting list) or you will lose your offer.
- You can accept the offer of admission with the link in the email that you have received. If you have a Finnish social security number, you can accept the admission offer only by using the My Studyinfo -service.
- Accepting an offer of admission is a binding choice, and you cannot cancel or change your choice later.
- You can accept only one offer of admission per academic term. When you accept an offer of admission, all your other admission offers will be cancelled automatically.
- If you cannot accept the offer of admission electronically, please contact us by email email@example.com.
- See further instructions at Studyinfo.fi
2. Register for the academic year
In addition to accepting the offer of admission , you need to register as an attending or non-attending student for the academic year or spring semester.
- The link to registration is activated in Studyinfo when you have accepted the offer of admission.
- Please note that if you are required to pay the tuition fee, registration is not possible before the tuition fee is paid. Instructions for tuition fee payment are sent in a separate email. If you do not pay the tuition fee and register as instructed, you will lose your study entitlement.
- If you have questions about registering, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering as non-attending student (postponing your studies)
According to the Universities Act/Universities of Applied Sciences Act, a first-year student may register as non-attending/absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- service under the Finnish Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
Required document: Call-up order
- the student needs time off his/her studies to take care of a child in regard to the child’s birth or adoption (14.1.2022/52):
Required document: Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy (or corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave).
- the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Required document: Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your non-attendance must be submitted through an online form
If you enrol as non-attending/absent in the first academic year due to illness or injury, the absence will consume your periods of absence, which may be taken during your studies for a maximum of two terms. If you are absent due to illness or injury for the entire first academic year, you will no longer have any periods of absence left after that and you will have to enrol as as present from the second academic year onwards.
If you are absent at any stage of your studies due to military service, civilian service, women's voluntary military service, maternity, paternity or parental leave, it will not consume your time to study.
If the legal reason for absence in the first academic year covers only the second term, you can enrol as absent for the entire academic year. You may also change the status of your enrolment for the spring term from present to absent during the spring term enrolment period from 1 December to 10 January by notifying the Student Office. If you start in the autumn term, you will have legal grounds to be absent for both the autumn term and spring term, even if your legal grounds apply only to the second term. If you start in the spring term and legal reason for absence apply to spring term, you can only be absent during the spring term.
Student loan compensation (Kela)
According to the qualifying criteria for the student loan compensation from Kela (the Finnish national social security institution), the period of study also includes terms in which you register as non-attending or interrupt your studies.
- For more on the qualifying criteria for the student loan compensation, see: www.kela.fi/web/en/student-loan-compensation
3. Submit the required documents
The study place is conditional until the UAS has checked the required certificates. Turku UAS may withdraw the admission, if you have given false information or do not deliver all the required documents by the deadline.
- If you have not submitted the required documents on your application form in Studyinfo during the application period, you must submit them by 1 December 2023 at the latest.
- Copies of work certificates are required from those who get admission to Master's degree programmes.
- If you have registered as non-attending student for the academic year, you have to submit the documents proving the legal grounds for the absence through online form.
- Further information: Deadlines for required documents
Important information for new degree students
Read also these pages:
- International Students On the page about tuition fees, required health documents and moving to Finland
- Starting the Studies On the page you will find starting time and place of studies and instructions for activating Turku UAS user IDs
- New Student's Guide On the page you will find other important information for new students