Green Exercise for the Heart and Mind
The final result of the project is an exercise programme in the nature environment and a training model for the programme. The project will have a positive effect on the mental and physical well-being for people with cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, the project will increase a physical lifestyle. Green exercise aims to increase physical activity especially among men and senior citizens with a sedentary lifestyle.
Content of the project
The purpose of project is to develop a green exercise programme to support mental and physical well-being and increase the physical lifestyle in the Heart districts and local heart organizations of Southwest Finland and Satakunta.
The project aims are to:
- Improve physical and mental well-being
- Pilot a green exercise programme with heart organizations
- Monitor the effectiveness of the exercise programme on the mental and physical well-being of the participants and the quality of life
- Increase the physical lifestyle of the elderly people
- Introduce the green exercise programme nationwide to heart associations.
The project is implemented between the local heart organizations of Southwest Finland and Satakunta, Metsähallitus and Turku University of Applied Sciences. During the project there will be close co-operation with the target group from the heart organizations. An important role in the project is played by volunteer team leaders, sports managers and other volunteer actors who pilot and implement the green exercise program in heart organizations during the project.
The project consists of the following activities:
- Planning of the Green Exercise Programme: 1 A survey for members of the hearth organizations about the need for green exercise, 2 Discussion meetings/workshops on the green exercise programme to the members of heart organizations, 3 Collection of evidence-based methods, mapping of nature environments, and building an annual clock / calendar.
- Training and Piloting of the Green Exercise Programme: 1 Planning and implementation of training in the Green Exercise Programme, 2 Initial and final surveys on health and quality of life, 3 Piloting the Green Exercise Programme and feedback collection
- Further development and deploying of the Green Exercise Programme in the activities of heart organizations: 1 Discussions with exercise leaders, team leaders and other volunteers, 2 Further development and implementation of the exercise programme