Bachelor of Engineering, Information and Communications Technology
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) deals with technologies, methods and tools such as software applications, data networks and cybersecurity, games and hi-tech electronic devices and systems. This programme offers you versatile opportunities as a future ICT professional. The extent of the Bachelor of Engineering degree programme is 240 ECTS credits and the planned duration of the studies is four years.
An ICT engineering graduate has wide and practically-oriented fundamental knowledge and skills. After graduation, you are able to follow and contribute to the development of your field. Your studies will strengthen your capabilities to promote life-long learning, your language and communication skills, and prepare you for working in international environment. Typical entry-level positions of ICT engineering graduates include Game Developer, Hardware Engineer, Project Engineer, Software Designer, and System Administrator.
The curriculum consists of basic, professional and optional studies as well as practical training and a Bachelor’s thesis project.
Basic studies contain fundamentals of science and ICT, language and communication courses, and coaching in study skills. Basic studies take place during the first and second study year, and they guide you into the topics of your future professional field. Professional studies focus mainly on more advanced topics in our ICT competence tracks and their applications, as well as business and entrepreneurship topics. Most of the advanced professional studies take place during the third and fourth year.
The focus areas of the degree programme are Embedded Electronics and Internet of Things (IoT), Game Development, as well as Data Networks and Cybersecurity. You will select one of these areas as your competence track. The competence track is selected already during the application process.
- Data Networks and Cybersecurity studies focus on designing, operating and managing various wired and wireless networks. The students will also encounter topics such as network configuration, cybersecurity and IT services. Graduates will find employment, for example, as network and system specialists, in various IT service or network service providers and data center industries.
- Embedded electronics and IoT focuses on design and implementation of network connected microcontroller systems such as fitness devices, mobile phones, robots, and future vehicles. The studies include both hardware and software design in wired and wireless environment. Graduated students are typically employed in product development tasks in industry.
- An engineer specialized in Game Development has the ability to create technology and art interfaces ranging from playful user interface design and gamification to high-end entertainment games. The graduates are able to develop game applications using state-of-the-art platforms, and to efficiently work as members of a game production team or other teams that employ game technology expertise in their product portfolio.
The studies typically contain several real-life research and development projects that are implemented together with local companies. Studying with us, you will participate in a lot of teamwork, laboratory work, and project work. We value problem-based learning, and incorporate our students in hands-on projects from the beginning. The learning process is supported by lectures, laboratory exercises, virtual courses, seminar presentations, and individual tutoring.
How to Apply?
More information at Studyinfo
At Studyinfo you'll find
- student selection criteria
- eligibility criteria
- more information about the degree programme
- the application form
Applicants who apply with a Finnish qualification certificate are selected based on the entrance examination. The entrance examination is held on 6 April 2018.
Applicants who apply with a non-Finnish qualification certificate are selected only based on the SAT test results. Read more: Apply to TUAS with the SAT test
Read more about the entrance examination and the SAT test on Studyinfo.