Water and Environmental Engineering
The Water Engineering research group has firm expertise on water protection, the marine environment and wastewater treatment. The research group has carried out numerous R&D projects related to:
- the protection and monitoring of aquatic environment and aquatic organisms,
- the monitoring of water quality and
- the restoration of water bodies.
In addition, the research group is responsible for teaching in Water Engineering at the Turku University of Applied Sciences. The research group has also designed and realized many water protection projects and locations in Southwestern Finland.
The research group is an expert on applied methods and field work. Over the last ten years, the group has acquired a versatile battery of continuous water quality monitoring devices and developed solid experience on their use in challenging conditions from open sea to small ditches and wastewater processes.
In addition, the group cooperates regularly with other research institutes and networks as well as companies related to their field of research. The research group has also both coordinated and participated in several local, regional and international R&D projects, financed by for example FP7, Life and Central Baltic Interreg IVA.
The research group focuses on:
• the management of nutrients and run-offs in water bodies,
• wastewater treatment and hazardous substances,
• marine planning and the monitoring and mapping of the marine environment.